Type: 4-6-0 Ten wheeler Class: h-6-g Built by: 1913 Length: 63 ft. 6 1/2 in. Height: 14 ft. 10 1/2 in. Width: 10 ft. 8 in. Cylinders: 22 in. diameter X 26 in. stroke Boiler Pressure: 180 psi Drive Wheel Diameter: 63 in Maximum tractiveeffort: 30,560 lbs. Water Capacity: 5,000 gallons Oil Capacity: 3,000 gallons Serial Number: 52649 Total Engine Weight: 86.5 tons (173,000 lbs.) Engine and Tender: 150 tons (297,000 lbs.) Acquired: 1970
Locomotive 1392 was built by Locomotives Works in Montreal Quebec. Locomotives of this class were originally used for passenger service and were among the first to operate into Edmonton on the Canadian Northern Railway. They were the workhorse locomotives that helped to open up the Prairies.
Superseded by heavier and faster locomotives on mainline service, 1392 was one of a group of locomotives that continued performing mixed and way freight duties for the CNR until the general retirement of all steam locomotives in the late 1950s.
As a branchline locomotive, 1392 was used in freight, mixed freight and passenger duties across the Canadian Northern and Canadian National Central and Western systems. In the later years, 1392 served on work trains and weed trains in Alberta. After being retired in 1955, it was put on static display at the Edmonton Exhibition grounds.
Locomotive 1392 is one of the few operating steam locomotives in Canada. Since being donated to the museum, it has had a busy life. Among its credits:
1978 - "Days of Heaven"
1986 - Steam Expo '86 in Vancouver
1989 - "Bye Bye Blues" - movie directed by Anne Wheeler
1996 - "Jake and the Kid" - Episode 19, July, on site.
2002 - "Monte Walsh", starring Tom Selleck - at Redwater AB.
2005 - Alberta Centennial train - to Boyle and Waskatenau AB.
2013 - 1392 celebrates its 100th birthday
2017 - Rails and Tales - Canada 150 Celebration - Stettler, AB.
This tender was built for CPR Locomotive 118. Acquired by NAR in 1943, the tender was renumbered to 16015.
This tender is an example of railway ingenuity in adapting cars from one service to another. It was fitted with a coupler in place of the draw bar. A hand brake and regular air brake equipment were applied so it could be used as a regular car. The coal bunker could be emptied unless the tender was to be used with a coal-fired crane or pile driver. The tender currently stores water in the summer season only.
Box Car 509893
Built: 1930 Capacity: 2,990 cu. ft. Weight: 44,400 lbs. Length: 40 ft. Acquired: 1968
This car was built by National Steel Car. It was primarily used as a grain car.
The car is equipped with Symington double truss trucks, 5.5 x 10 journals, plain bearings and has AB brakes. This type of box car had larger capacity than previous equipment due to its larger journals, cast steel sides on the trucks and improved steel underframing. It was the last major evolution of the box car. This design saw use until the close of World War II when it was rapidly replaced by the all steel box car.
Box Car 509893 went to Stettler, Alberta in July, 1994 to be used in a movie. It is currently being used for storage.
Box Car 512719
Built: 1931 Acquired: 1968
This box car was built by Canada Car & Foundry. 512719 and Its relative 509893 (above) worked through the Great Depression by moving all kinds of cargo during World War II. However, they were most often seen in service at a country grain elevator being loaded with grain.
This car also went to Stettler, Alberta in July 1994 for a movie shoot. It was painted in 1996 and is currently being used for storage.
This car was built by Canadian General Tank Company and numbered 1102. This car made a significant contribution to the success of Canada's war effort during both World Wars and to the post war development of the country. It ended up in service under PROCOR Ltd. ownership and has since been lettered APRA 400.
Built: 1915 Acquired: 1968
This combine was built by Canada Car & Foundry for the Canadian Northern Railway as Second Class Smoker 6755. The car served on crack (high priority fast mover) passenger trains, riding behind the baggage car and in front of the coaches.
In 1965, 7379 became work service car 72782. In 1987 the exterior of the car and the smoking section were restored so that the car could be used in a movie "The Gunfighters", part of which was also filmed at Fort Edmonton Park. In 1979 the car was painted as an Alberta & Great Waterways passenger car and used in the movie "Silence of the North".
The combine has been refinished inside during the summer of 1995.The exterior was repainted in the summer of 1996. It was used in an episode of "Jake and the Kid" that was filmed on the property in July 1996.
It has since been re-roofed. The baggage section currently has an exhibit on display.
Box Car 557073
Built: 1973 Acquired: 2005 from Barrhead County.
The box car was built by National Steel Car for CNR as insulated box car 557073. It was last used in CN work service as 73636. The car is currently being used for storage.