Model: F3A Built: 1948 Length: 50 ft. 8 in. Height: 15 feet Tractive Effort: 40% Continuous Tractive Effort: 44,000 lbs. Power: 1,500 hp Engine: EMD 567-B, V-16 Gear Ratio: 62:25 Cooling Water Capacity: 192 gallons Lubrication Oil Capacity: 166 gallons Sand Storage: 16 cubic feet Class: CN V-I-A-a, later CN GFA-15a Fuel Capacity: 1,000 gallons Maximum Speed: 65 mph Serial Number: 5888 Acquired: 1971 from CN
CN 9000 is the museum's "signature" locomotive. This diesel electric locomotive was built by General Motors - Electro-Motive Division. A diesel engine drives a generator which produces electricity for the electric motors mounted on each of the axles. It also has a third seat for the "fireman" in the cab. This was a Locomotive Union requirement.
9000 is historically significant because it was the first production road freight locomotive built for a Canadian railway. It logged 2.5 million miles in revenue service from 1948 until its retirement from CN in October 1971. 9000 spent a good portion of its productive service working out of Calder (now Walker) Yard in Edmonton, Alberta, especially during its last few years.
This locomotive was sandblasted and repainted in 1996. It ran under its own power on Central Western Railway for a shooting of the movie "In Cold Blood" in July 1996.
The museum's 9000 is the second Canadian National Railways locomotive to bear that number. The first 9000 has a fascinating history. It was used on an armoured train that operated on the west coast during the Second World War. It was camouflaged to look like a boxcar where it pulled a series of flat cars and boxcars. These cars contained guns and ammunition that were intended to fight off an attack from Japanese submarines which were reputed to be patrolling the coastal waters. The first 9000 was used briefly for passenger services after the war and then was retired in 1946.
Covered Hopper 53339
Built: 1956 Acquired: 2008
The hopper was built as CNR 135466 and renumbered to 352419 in 1967. It was then transferred to work train service as 53339 in April 1984. It main feature is that is has the first series of slab-side covered hoppers with six hatches in the roof.
It currently contains locomotive sand.
Tank Car 16040
Built: 1920 Acquired: 1982 from CN
16040 was used as a water car and then for diesel fuel for track side equipment.
Box Car 156032
Built: 1911 Acquired: 1981 from CN
This car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry for the CPR as box car 422914. in the 195200 series as a machinery and automobile car. It was re-numbered by CP as 156032. The car was then purchased by the NAR in 1952 and used as a supply service car 179913.
In 2012, Agrium Inc. provided funds for a complete restoration of the car to as it was in CPR grain car service in the 1930's. The grain car was repainted in 2014-15 as CPR 156032. It currently exhibits a grain display, grain Elevator scale, false and solid crates, railway tools in crates and a pot belly stove.
Stock Car 172755
Built: 1912 Light Weight: 38,100 lbs. Acquired: 1969 from CN
This stock car was built by Pullman Standard Car Company for Grand Trunk Railway as an outside braced box car. It was numbered 26169. After amalgation with CN, the car was renumbered it to 346349. In 1935, it was converted to a stock car and numbered 172755. At the time of conversion, the former K triple air brakes were replaced with AB brakes, and the arch bar trucks with AAR trucks. These stock cars not only moved livestock but were used to carry company material to outlying points from main stores or shops. The car body was painted in 2012. It is currently being used for storage.
Box Car 477871
Built: 1939 Capacity: 95,000 lbs. / 3712 cu. ft. Load Limit: 95,100 lbs. Light Weight: 46,900 lbs. Inside Length: 40.6 ft. Inside Width: 9.2 ft. Inside Height: 10 ft. Acquired: 1996
This car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry as one of the first modern steel sided car for grain service. It showed the change from wood to all-steel cars that occurred as the railways upgraded and modernized their freight equipment. This car was assigned to work service with number 72096 and then re-numbered to 72038. It is currently being used for storage.
Built: 1929 Acquired: 1968
This car was built in the CNR Transcona Car Shops in Winnipeg. It is a typical CNR caboose complete with beds, coal bin, sink, water tank, desks, stove, oven, ice-block refrigerator and cupola seats with backs that flip to face the direction in which the train is running.
Caboose 78185 was restored to its original condition in the winter of 1987-1988 and received a new coat of paint in the summer of 1996. It was used in the filming of "Monte Walsh" starring Tom Selleck. It is now currently being restored in the Dunvegan Shop.
Built: 1929 Length: 45 ft. Acquired: 1969 from CN
This car was built by Eastern Car Company for the Canadian National Railways as box car 201286. It was renumbered to 208046. The car was acquired by NAR and numbered 7584. CNR then renumbered it to 46230. It main feature is insulated double walls with ice compartments at either end. Ice is loaded through roof hatches at the car ends. The interior has hanging rods in the roof for meat carcasses. The body is wood sheathed and it has a steel underframe. The picture above shows restoration in progress. It is currently being used for storage.