These two diesel- electric "F" Series locomotives were built by General Motors of Canada for CNR's transcontinental passenger service. They were transferred to VIA Rail in 1978. In 1995, the locomotives were purchased by the Wisconsin Central Railroad where they were used as excursion trains on their Algoma Central division. The locomotives were repainted and renumbered 1762 and 1753 respectively. In 2001, the Wisconsin Central Railroad was purchased by the CNR and the locomotives were put into storage.
The locomotives have since been repainted and renumbered back to the 1960s CNR service livery.
Express Refrigerator 10648
Built: 1957 Acquired: 1999
This high speed refrigerator car was built in 1947 by Marine Industries. It was developed to operate on the head end of passenger trains. The car demonstrated the evolution from ice to mechanical refrigeration. Cars such as this transported fresh fish, meat, and other perishables. This car is currently being used for storage.
This baggage car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry as a box car. It was then converted to a box baggage car and fitted with high speed trucks. This car is an example of those that were used on passenger trains to carry baggage, express parcels and other time sensitive materials across Canada. During World War 2, these cars sometimes carried as many as 1,000 bags of mail for overseas. This car is currently being used for storage.
Mail Express 7815
Built: 1937 Acquired: 1995 from Ottawa
The mail express car was built by Canada Car & Foundry for the Canadian National Railways. It was last used for CN Ocean Limited between Montreal and Halifax. It was acquired by the National Museum of Science and Technology in 1972.
Most of the fittings are still in place. The tags in the postal section identify towns and cities along that line. The Express section contains a display interpreting the components and operation of steam engines. The rounded metal brackets on the outside of the mail doors held the now-removed catch bar that was swung down to catch the bag of mail that the station agent would have hung up on a catch-post. A catch-post is mounted on the west end of the St. Albert station platform. Mail for the town was tossed off the train onto the station platform by a mail clerk.
Built: 1939 Acquired: 1994 from Cold Lake
This baggage car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry. It was used on passenger trains between Toronto, Halifax and Vancouver. During the Second World War, baggage cars such as this one carried wing and tail assemblies for aircraft from manufacturing plants in Ontario to Halifax for overseas shipment. Baggage cars such as 8730 were also used on the silk trains in the '20s and '30s.
High priority shipments and Less than Carload Lots (LCL) were often sent in baggage cars on Through Passenger Trains. The cars could also be fitted with collapsible stalls to carry horses.
This baggage car was acquired by the Model Railroad Club at Canadian Forces Base, Cold Lake, Alberta in April 1973. It was donated to the Alberta Railway Museum by the Commanding Officer. It is currently being used for storage.
Built: 1923 Acquired: 2001 from CN
"REGINA" was built by Canada Car & Foundry as a 12 section / 1 drawing room sleeper CN 1579. It was then converted into an 8 section / 1 drawing room / 2 compartment sleeper in 1949 and renumbered 1801. "REGINA" was finally transferred to work service in 1979 as a wreck dozer accommodation car and numbered 54957.
Built: 1927 Acquired: 1999 from CN
This car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry as a 12 section / 1 drawing room sleeper. It was numbered CN 1654 and called "Johnson" as it was one of the named cars on Canadian National Railways Confederation Train of 1927. These cars were named after the individuals who signed the Articles of Canadian Confederation. Locomotive 6015 - presently on display at Jasper - was one of the locomotives that pulled the train as part of the 60th anniversary of Confederation. The car was then converted to a 8 section / 4 drawing room in 1954 and became CN 2189 "PELEE ISLAND". It was then transferred to work service in 1981 as Auxiliary Bunk Car 61177.
It has been repainted into the classic Super Continental color scheme and renamed back to "PELEE ISLAND". It is currently being used for storage.
Built: 1924 Acquired: 2000 from CN
"FORT BRABANT" (pronouced "bra-BAW") was built by Canadian Car & Foundry as luxury 4 section / 1 drawing room sleeper / buffet/ observation car. "FORT BRABANT" was transferred to work service as CN 59714 in 1982. Major modifications were done to the interior. These included windows being changed, end windows sealed and the sleeping accommodation removed. A full kitchen was then installed, dining seating put in and a lounge area was constructed.