Type: 4-6-0 Ten wheeler Class: h-6-g Built by: Locomotive Works, Montreal, Quebec, 1913 Length: 63 ft. 6 1/2 in. Height: 14 ft. 10 1/2 in. Width: 10' 8" Cylinders: 22" diameter X 26" stroke Boiler Pressure: 180 psi Drive Wheel Diameter: 63 in. Total Engine Weight: 86.5 tons (173,000 pounds) Engine and Tender: 150 tons (297,000 pounds) Haulage rating: 28% Max. tractive effort: 30,560 lbs. Water Capacity: 5,000 gallons Oil capacity: 3,000 gallons Serial Number: 52649
Locomotives of this class were originally used for passenger service and were among the first to operate into Edmonton on the Canadian Northern Railway. They were the workhorse locomotives that helped to open up the Prairies.
Superseded by heavier and faster locomotives on mainline service, 1392 was one of a group of locomotives that continued performing mixed and way freight duties for the CNR until the general retirement of all steam locomotives in the late 1950s.
As a branchline locomotive, 1392 was used in freight, mixed freight and passenger duties across the Canadian Northern and Canadian National Central and Western systems. In later years 1392 served on work trains and weed trains in Alberta. Retired in 1955, it was put on static display at the Edmonton Exhibition grounds.
Acquired by the Museum in 1970, Locomotive 1392 is one of the few operating steam locomotives in Canada, and has had a busy life in retirement. Among its credits:
Days of Heaven (1978)
Steam Expo '86 in Vancouver - by flatcar
"Bye Bye Blues" - movie directed by Anne Wheeler
"Jake and the Kid" - Episode 19, July 1996, on site.
Train operations on Museum property during long weekends
2002 - "Monte Walsh", starring Tom Selleck - at Redwater AB.
2005 - Alberta Centennial train - to Boyle and Waskatenau AB.
2013 - 1392 celebrates its 100 anniversary
Interior of the restored firebox of 1392.
On Tractive Force and Horsepower by Terry Wolfe, APRA Vice-President
Tractive Force (effort) is the power which the pistons of the engine are capable of exerting through the drive-wheels, to move the engine and train. The efficiency of the engine's traction is dependent upon the adhesion of the wheels to the rails; for, where the adhesion is insufficient, the pistons will slip the wheels, and no useful effect will result. To prevent this, the weight resting on the drivers must be about five times the power exerted by the pistons.
An easy calculation...................
d2 LpT= D
Where:T=Tractive force to the rails (%TE)d=diameter of the cylinder in inchesL=length of piston stroke in inchesD=diameter of the driving whels in inchesp=effective pressure on the piston in psi
Horse-power is the measure of the rate at which work is performed, and is equal to 33,000 pounds lifted one foot in one minute, or one pound lifted 33,000 feet in one minute, or one pound lifted 550 feet in one second; therefore, one horse-power equals 550 foot-pounds per second.
Calculation is:P x L x A x N H.P= 33,000 P=effective pressure on the piston in psi L=length of piston stroke in feet.A=area of the piston in square inches.N=number of strokes (four times the number of revolutions) per minute.
Or, by cancellation and substituting the diameter of the driving wheels, the formula can be rearranged as:C2 x S x P x (M.P.H.)H.P= D x 375 (personaly, I never liked thisformula!!) C=diameter of cylinder in inches. P=mean effective pressure at given speed. S=length of stroke in inches.M. P. H.=miles per hour.D=diameter of driving wheels in inches.
Built in 1940, Spare Water Tender (SWT) xCPR 118 is an example of railway ingenuity in adapting cars from one service to another. Perhaps the original locomotive was scrapped or given a larger tender.
This tender was fitted with a coupler in place of the draw bar. A hand brake and regular air brake equipment were applied so it could be used as a regular car. The coal bunker could be emptied unless the tender was to be used with a coal-fired crane or pile driver. It could also be used as a Spare Water Tender for a locomotive in work train or way-freight service. It was donated by CN in 1983.
This 45-foot car was built in August, 1929, refurbished in 1961 and donated by CN in 1969. Renumbered from #208046, it was originally in the 201150-201299 series. It has insulated double walls with ice compartments at either end. Ice is loaded through roof hatches at the car ends. The interior has hanging rods in the roof for meat carcasses. The body is wood sheathed and it has a steel underframe. The picture above shows restoration in progress.
At left is a picture of what the car will look like once restored. (Thanks to Brian Pate for this photo of one of his very fine models.)
"In 1857, Gustavus Swift took the initiative in utilizing refrigerator cars to transport meat products beyond local markets. In the same era, Prof. Linde of Germany was the latest in a long line of pioneers who finally developed a mechanical system of refrigeration and ice-making which revolutionized the meat and produce industry worldwide.
The field of refrigerated transport went hand in hand with the development of the stationary plants of the food processing industry. As a representative of the type of refrigerator car which served for the first half of the 20th century, 46230 lasted until the advent of the mechanical refrigerator car."
- Hartley, S.D., Scafe, D.W., "Compilation of the Stock of the Alberta Railway Museum", Nov. 1990
For more information, see the book CN Lines (Vol.7. No.2, page 25) for the history of Canadian National's "End Bunker Reefers".
172755 Stock Car
Light Weight: 38,100 lbs.
Stock cars not only moved livestock but were used to carry company material to outlying points from main stores or shops.
Built in 1911 as Box Car #26169 for the Grand Trunk Railway, this car was renumbered after amalgamation as CN #346349 and then converted to Stock Car 172755 in 1935. At the time of conversion the former K triple air brakes were replaced with AB brakes, and the arch bar trucks with AAR trucks. CN donated the car in 1969. It was repainted in 1996.
477871 Box Car
Capacity: 95,000 lbs. or 3712 cu. ft. Load Limit: 95,100 lbs. Light Weight: 46,900 lbs. Inside Length: 40.6 ft. Inside Width: 9.2 ft. Inside Height: 10 ft.
This car was built in June 1939, and shows the change from wood to all-steel cars that occurred as the railways upgraded and modernized their freight equipment. This car was assigned to work service with number 72096 and then re-numbered to 72038. It carried that number when the Museum received it in 1996. It is scheduled for repainting and stencilling.
509893 Box Car
Built: April, 1930 Capacity: 2,990 cu. ft. Weight: 44,400 lbs.
This car is equipped with Symington double truss trucks, 5.5 x 10 journals, plain bearings and has AB brakes.
This type of box car had larger capacity than previous equipment because of larger journals, cast steel sides on the trucks and improved steel underframing. This was the last major evolution of the box car; this design saw use until the close of World War II when it was rapidly replaced by the all steel box car.
Box Car 509893 went to Stettler, Alberta in July, 1994 to be used in a movie. It was donated by CN in 1968 and painted in 1996. Update 2011: The car has been completely rebuilt with new siding and doors. The body and trucks have been re-painted. The doors have been re-assembled, painted and hung
512719 Box Car
Built: May, 1931
This car, and its relative 509893 (above), are significant pieces of rolling stock. They worked through the Great Depression of the '30s and moved all kinds of cargo during World War II, but they were most often seen in service at a country grain elevator being loaded with grain.
This car also went to Stettler, Alberta in July 1994 for a movie shoot. It was donated in 1968 and painted in 1996.
17913 Box Car
Built in 1911 for the CPR in the 195200 series as a machinery and automobile car, it was re-numbered into the 295200 series and then finally carried CP #156032 prior to being purchased by the NAR in 1952. It was used in non-revenue service to transport supplies for work trains. Donated by CN in 1981.
The NAR did not own any revenue boxcars until 100 new cars were delivered in May 1979. Those cars are still in service on Canadian National and are numbered 050001 to 050030 and 050101 to 050170.
6570 Tank Car
Built: October 21, 1914 Weight: 44,400 lbs. Capacity: 6768 imperial gallons or 80,000 lbs.
This car made a significant contribution to the success of Canada's war effort during both World Wars and to the post war development of the country. The Museum acquired it in 1968 as a donation from CN. It is lettered for PROCOR.
16040 Tank Car
Apparently 16040 was used as a water car and then for diesel fuel for track side equipment. It was donated by CN in 1982.
This car was originally built for the Canadian Northern Railway in 1915 as Second Class Smoker #6755. It became part of the Canadian National Railways system when amalgamation took place in 1923. The car served on crack passenger trains, riding behind the baggage car and in front of the coaches.
In 1965, 7379 became work car #72782. In 1987 the exterior of the car and the smoking section were restored so that the car could be used in a movie "The Gunfighters", part of which was also filmed at Fort Edmonton Park. In 1979 the car was painted as an Alberta & Great Waterways passenger car and used in the movie "Silence of the North".
The Combine was donated by CN in 1968 and refinished inside during the summer of 1995. The exterior was repainted in the summer of 1996. It was used in an episode of "Jake and the Kid" that was filmed on the property in July 1996.
It is now re-roofed and on display, Thanks to Hans, Barry and Phil.
About Combine Cars
Sleeping cars had their own smoking rooms, but coaches did not. In 1940, 7379 was converted into a baggage-smoker or Combination Car. Cars such as this one were added to trains for extra baggage storage and to provide an enlarged smoking room for the coach passengers.
The combine seats 32 passengers. At night, boards and mattresses could be placed across the seats as sleeping accommodation for the dining car employees.
The other half of the car is a typical baggage car used by most Canadian railways. It contains a stove, and a desk used by the mail-express clerk or baggageman to hold mail, paperwork and baggage tags. Often there would be a small metal box with a lock, or a safe; this held express mail or passengers' valuables or possessions. The car was staffed by a baggageman who loaded and unloaded baggage, mail and other goods at the appropriate stations.
This car was probably taken off passenger services on the mainline in the 1940's, and sent to branchlines of the Canadian National System to be used on mixed passenger - freight train services, commonly known as milk runs or locals.
At very small country stations, the baggageman or mail-expressman would put the town's mail in a canvas mail sack, set it by the open baggage door and toss it off onto the station platform. The station agent would load the outgoing mail onto the car.
At the larger country stations, the train would roll in with the baggage door open and empty milk and cream cans stacked up in the doorway. These were being returned to local farmers. The baggageman would exchange them for full cans which farmers brought to the station.
Mail and parcels would also be exchanged. The train was a vital link to the rest of the world, and brought all kinds of merchandise and supplies - baby chicks, mail-order parcels from Eaton's and Simpson's, parts and even small machinery. But it wasn't all business for train employees. Depending on their schedule the crew of the local train might stay for coffee, and now and then were invited to share a meal with the residents along the line they served.
Built in 1929, in the CNR Transcona Car Shops, this is a typical CNR caboose complete with beds, coal bin, sink, water tank, desks, stove, oven, ice-block refrigerator and cupola seats with backs that flip to face the direction in which the train is running.
Caboose 78185 was restored to its original condition in the winter of 1987-1988 and received a new coat of paint in the summer of 1996. It was used in the filming of "Monte Walsh" starring Tom Selleck.
About the Caboose
The caboose had many nicknames among railway workers: crummy, cab, van, doghouse, hayrack, waycar, conductor's van, and even "brain box" or "brains box". Modern CNR employees call it the cab or caboose while CPR employees call it the van as do CN eastern lines employees.
The caboose is the conductor's home and office. The conductor is responsible for the entire train, except the locomotive. The conductor and engineer work together to keep the train on schedule. The conductor must know exactly who and what is on his train, how many, the origin and destination of each item or passenger, etc.
The conductor is assisted by one or two brakemen (or trainmen as they are known on passenger trains). They throw switches, couple and uncouple cars, check brakes and make sure the train runs safely. The head end brakeman rides in the locomotive cab and the tail end brakeman or "brakie" rides in the caboose with the conductor. In the days before the installation of air brakes, brakemen had to climb on the roof of the train to manually set and release the brakes.
The conductor and the brakeman ride in the cupola, which is the raised portion on the roof of the caboose or on its side. They look down the length of the train to see or smell "hot boxes": overheated axle bearings that could catch fire or seize up and cause a derailment. They also look for dragging equipment, shifted loads, fires, loose straps, or hoboes.
If anything out of the ordinary is detected, the conductor signals a stop with his lantern or pulls the emergency brake. The problem is fixed by the train crew or the car is set out on a siding to be repaired later.
As the train travels, the station agents along the line receive new orders for the train by telegraph. The train order board is displayed to the approaching train, telling the train crew to pick up orders. Train orders are copied and put in a metal bracket on a wooden hoop. These orders are passed to the locomotive crew and caboose crew using this hoop. The orders are read and reread and then carried out by the crew, since each end of the train received the same orders.
During the early days of railroading, conductors and brakemen saw the caboose as their home away from home. Each crew would often bring personal belongings from home. Conductors made their own symbol to put on the roof of their caboose to help them find their "home" in a crowded rail yard. At the end of a day's work, the caboose was taken off the train and set out on a siding. The crew would eat and sleep in it overnight and be put on another train the next day.
Each caboose came with three benches with mattresses stored underneath, a coal bin, a stove for heating and cooking, a sink, water for drinking and washing, a conductor's desk, and an ice block refrigerator. The caboose also had a first-aid kit, stretcher, switchman's hand lanterns, and a flag/flare kit.
Newer cabooses have no beds, but do have an electric refrigerator, heaters, an oven, a toilet, lockers, an eating table, and a conductor's desk.
Eventually, the caboose was phased out. In February, 1988, the Canadian Transport Commission gave permission to Canadian railways to replace the caboose with the new end-of-train unit. The conductor moved into the locomotive cab with the engineman and front-end brakeman. By the fall of 1988, CNR and CPR began the removal of the caboose from active duty. Trains are now operated by a conductor and locomotive engineer both located in the cab of the locomotive.