Type: 2-8-0 Consolidation Class: none assigned Built By: Canadian Locomotive Co., Kingston ON. Length: 67 ft. 3 in.Height: 14 ft. 7.75 in. Width: 10 ft. 8 in. Cylinders: 22" diameter X 28" stroke Boiler Pressure: 190 psi. Drive Wheel Diameter: 56 in. Engine Weight: 89 tons (178,000 pounds) Total Engine and Tender: 162.75 tons (325,500 pounds) Haulage Rating: 39% Maximum Tractive Effort: 39,140 lbs. Water Capacity: 6,000 gallons Oil Capacity: 3,881 gallons (converted to oil in 1952) Serial Number: 1821
Locomotive 73 was one of only three built for the Alberta Government Railways by the Canadian Locomotive Co. Built in October 1927, 73 was assigned to the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway and was taken on the roster of the Northern Alberta Railways after the formation of the NAR in 1929. Locomotive 73 operated in freight and passenger service on the NAR until retirement in 1960. Sold to Premier Steel, a subsidiary of Stelco in 1960, 73 was rescued from the scrapper's torch in 1964. With parts from sister engines 72 and 74, 73 was again under steam by 1967. In 1979, the boiler developed a leak and the engine has been in storage ever since.
Of the 17 steam locomotives that were owned by the NAR, Locomotive 73 is the only survivor.
1454 Mail Express
This picture shows 1454 in service on the Muskeg Mixed - a combined freight/passenger train that served the communities along the track from Edmonton to Waterways., AB -The photo is courtesy of retired NAR conductor Paul Swain.
It was built in 1930 for the Northern Alberta Railways along with sister car 1453. They were the first new cars purchased by the newly-formed NAR. Originally the Mail Express cars served on passenger trains between Edmonton, Peace River, Hines Creek, and Grande Prairie, Alberta; and Dawson Creek, British Columbia.
This picture of 1453 was taken at Beaverlodge, AB while the car was still in service on the NAR. 1453 is owned by the National Railroad Historical Society, BC Chapter, and is used in occasional excursion service out of New Westminster BC. 1453 served for several years on the mixed train from Edmonton to Fort McMurray. For more information on Mail Express cars, please refer to the information on CNR 7815 Mail Express on the CNR Passenger Train page.
1460 Mail Express
Built in 1948 for the NAR to the specifications of the Canadian Pacific Railway for mail-express cars. Its construction reflects the influence of the CPR passenger car design. In its last years with the railway, 1460 also served on the mixed train from Edmonton to Fort McMurray.
Built by the Pullman Company in 1943 as U.S. Army Troop Sleeper 9286, it was one of a pair purchased after World War 2 by the NAR and used for express until passenger services ceased. The cars were numbered 1220 and 1221. The latter car was fire damaged and sold for scrap.
Canadian National used Car 1220 as Cable Storage Car 61141 until it was acquired by the Museum in 1995.
It was painted in 1997 supported by a grant from the Alberta Museums Association and the Inmate Work Program of Alberta Solicitor General.
"RYCROFT" was built by the Pullman Car Company in 1913 for the Canadian Pacific Railway as "KEMPTON", part of an order for thirteen 12 section- l drawing room sleepers. This series of cars was named after towns in Canada whose names begin with "K".
"KEMPTON" was bought by the NAR in the early thirties and renamed "RYCROFT" after the town of Rycroft, Alberta. In 1967 it was converted to NAR Laundry-Shower-Recreation work car #18102. It was acquired by the Museum in 1983.
In 1988, the car was fitted out as the Museum's office car and some restoration work was begun. During re-roofing and repainting in 1988, the original stained-glass clerestory windows were uncovered. The car was repainted in the NAR colors during 1988.
All of the fittings for the berths, the berths themselves and the seats did not survive the refit for work service. Fortunately, some of the original woodwork was preserved due to being painted in green, white, and yellow while in work service. Nearly the entire men's smoking room is intact, as well as floral patterns on the window valances. A grant from the Alberta Museums Association was obtained to restore the inside of "RYCROFT" as a day coach. The corridors and men's washroom at one end and the women's washroom at the other end have been stripped and refinished. The car will be re-roofed andÂ repainted and the interior refinished. Meanwhile, a pictorial display of railway history and memorabilia has been set up in the car as repairs continue.
"WESTLOCK" was built in 1917 by the American Pullman Car Company for the Baltimore and Ohio Railway and named the "NUGENT". It was one of the first of approximately 4,000 cars of this type built by Pullman. "NUGENT" was constructed almost entirely of steel - there is very little wood. It first saw service hauling World War I passenger traffic in the United States.
"NUGENT" was bought by the N.A.R. in 1942. The car was renamed "WESTLOCK" and painted in N.A.R. dark blue with gold lettering. The car was acquired to handle increased passenger traffic caused by the building of the Alaska Highway and the "CANOL" project in 1942. CANOL was the term used for the refinery situated on the Mackenzie River at Norman Wells and the pipeline that was constructed to take oil from the refinery to the Yukon in response to the threat of a Japanese invasion of the west coast of Canada and the USA.
"WESTLOCK" was used by the N.A.R. in passenger service between Edmonton and Peace River, leaving Edmonton's downtown CNR station at 1730 o'clock and arrived in Peace River the next morning. For this trip, upper berths cost $2.80 and lower berths $3.50 per night (1950 prices). The drawing room cost $11.00 (single) or $13.00 (double).
"WESTLOCK" is a 12 section - 1 drawing room car. The drawing room has an upper berth (bed), a sofa which makes into a bed, and two lower berth seats that have temporarily been removed. By day it is a totally enclosed private room complete with washroom, and by night it is converted into private accommodations for three people.
The rest of the car is open sections by day, and at night the upper berths are folded down and made into beds, as are the day seats.Â For privacy, a vertical divider is slipped into place between the upper and lower berths to separate them from the next section. Coat hangers and curtains that are stored in the upper berths are folded down. Each upper berth has lights, mirror, and call button to call the porter for assistance.
At the end of the berth section is a linen closet. Each car had its own linen assigned to it, for which the porter was solely responsible. When a passenger used a pillow to nap during the day, the pillow case was changed before the pillow was used that night. Sheets were changed each morning and the bed was pre-made for the following night. If any piece of linen was found to be dirty, it was immediately changed.
At one end of the car is the men's smoking and wash room. Men were not permitted to smoke in the berth section of the car, so a smoking room was provided. It was used for smoking, conversations, card playing, and when the porter was making up berths. There are sinks for shaving and a separate dental sink for brushing teeth. A toilet is located just through a door within the room.
At the other end of the car is the ladies' wash room which has three sinks, a toilet, linen and hairbrush shelves. There were originally three seats to go with the nickel plated sinks. A large mirror has also been removed. Ladies did not have a smoking room; ladies, it was assumed, did not smoke.
Sleeping car service ended on the NAR in the spring of 1961. "WESTLOCK" was used as a passenger car until 1976 when it was put into work car service as an auxiliary sleeper. This accounts for the lantern brackets seen in various places. Berth hardware and carpets were removed at that time.
Built in 1907 by the Barney & Smith Company as a 12 section/l bedroom sleeper for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, "DUNVEGAN" was originally named "AVALON".
In 1928, the Edmonton, Dunvegan, and British Columbia Railway (ED&BC)purchased it and kept the name "AVALON". When the ED&BC. became part of the NAR, the name "AVALON" was kept briefly, but in 1929 the car was renamed "PEACE RIVER" . It continued as a 12-1 sleeper until 1947 when the NAR needed a Superintendent's business car.
"PEACE RIVER" was extensively rebuilt, including a steel underframe, interior renovations and an open platform on one end. This platform featured brass railings, and had an awning on top. Platforms were also provided on the rear cars on passenger trains but wind, dust, smoke, and metal slivers ground off the rail by the trains could blow in passenger's faces. Open platforms were discontinued on most railways during the 40s.
The car was renamed "DUNVEGAN" and continued in service as the NAR's Business Car. At left is a picture of "DUNVEGAN" in service circa 1960. (The distortion is due to the angle of the photograph.)
In 1964, the car's name was reversed to "PEACE RIVER" again; in 1966 it became Business Car #3; and in 1968 the car was assigned to work service. The dark blue NAR passenger paint scheme and gold lettering was covered with "Red Fleet" paint, and some of the woodwork in the car was painted in "work green". As Auxiliary Sleeper #17107, it served until 1981 with the NAR and then with CN until 1983, when it was acquired by the Museum.
In 1991, supported by grants from the Wildrose Antique Collectors and the Alberta Museums Association, the exterior of the car was completely restored. In 1992 the original brass railings were recovered and installed.