Type: 2-8-0 Class: none assigned Built: 1927 Length: 67 ft. 3 in. Height: 14 ft. 7.75 in. Width: 10 ft. 8 in. Cylinders: 22" diameter X 28" stroke Boiler Pressure: 190 psi. Drive Wheel Diameter: 56 in. Engine Weight: 89 tons (178,000 pounds) Total Engine and Tender: 162.75 tons (325,500 pounds) Maximum Tractive Effort: 39,140 lbs. Water Capacity: 6,000 gallons Oil Capacity: 3,881 gallons (converted to oil in 1952) Serial Number: 1821 Acquired: 1964
Locomotive 73 was built by Canadian Locomotive Company for the Alberta Government Railways. It was assigned to the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway and was taken on the roster of the Northern Alberta Railways after the formation of the NAR in 1929. Locomotive 73 operated in freight and passenger service on the NAR until retirement in 1960.
Locomotive 73 was sold to Premier Steel, a subsidiary of Stelco in 1960. It was then rescued from the scrapper's torch in 1964. (Of the 17 steam locomotives that were owned by the NAR, Locomotive 73 is the only survivor.) With parts from sister engines 72 and 74, 73 was again under steam by 1967. The locomotive was then stored at the Edmonton Transit System (ETS) Cromdale Car Barns and put under the care of the Rocky Mountain Branch of the Canadian Railroad Historical Association (CRHA). 73 was eventually moved to the Alberta Railway Museum where it ran until 1979. A leak developed in the boiler and 73 was shut down for good.
The locomotive then became a static display at the museum and it was still owned by the CRHA. This all changed on August 7, 2017 when the Alberta Railway Museum purchased Locomotive 73 for a loonie. Due to this change of ownership, the museum can now begin the restoration process.
Mail Express 1454
Built: 1930 Acquired: 1990 from CN
This car was built by Canadian Car & Foundry for the NAR for Edmonton - Grande Prairie - Dawson Creek service. It was also used on the Fort McMurray mixed train. In 1949, modifications were made to the car which included electric lighting and a generator. After amalgamation with CN in 1981, it was numbered 7855. It has since been restored and now contains CN Timeline panels from the Vancouver Expo 86.
It has since been restored and now contains CN Timeline panels from the Vancouver Expo 86.
Baggage Mail Express 1460
Built: 1948 Acquired: 1990
1460 was built by Canadian Car & Foundry for the NAR using CPR specifications for mail-express cars. It also served on the mixed train from Edmonton to Fort McMurray. In 1981 after amalgamation with CN, it was numbered 7856. The car has been repainted and renumbered back to 1460. It now contains an NAR historic interpretive display.
Built: 1943 Acquired: 1995
This sleeper car was built by the Pullman Car Company for the US Army Troop and numbered 9286. In 1947, it was purchased by the NAR for $6250, converted to passenger train service and numbered 1220. The car was then used to haul express cargo and baggage. Canadian National then used the car for cable storage and renumbered it to 61141. It was painted in 1997 supported by a grant from the Alberta Museums Association and the Inmate Work Program of Alberta Solicitor General. The car currently has diesel locomotive interpretive panels, engine demonstration parts and a partial locomotive control center on display.
Built: 1913 Acquired: 1983
"RYCROFT" was built by the Pullman Car Company for the Canadian Pacific Railway as "KEMPTON", part of an order for thirteen 12 section / l drawing room sleepers. This series of cars was named after towns in Canada whose names begin with "K". It was used for troop transport to Waterways and Dawson Creek. In 1945, NAR bought the car and renamed "RYCROFT" after the town of Rycroft, Alberta. In 1967, the car was converted to work service as a shower, laundry and recreation car. It was numbered 18102.
In 1988, the car was refurbished for use as a museum's office. Restoration to the day coach was started but never completed. A pictorial display of railway history and memorabilia has been set up in the car as repairs continue. The car is currently under a protective white tarp awaiting more restoration.
Built: 1917 Acquired: 1976 from the Old Strathcona Foundation
"WESTLOCK" was built by Pullman Car Company for the Baltimore and Ohio Railway as a 12 section / 1 drawing room sleeper. The car was given the name "NUGENT". It first saw service hauling World War I passenger traffic in the United States.
This car was bought by the NAR in 1942 and renamed "WESTLOCK". It was acquired to handle increased passenger traffic caused by the building of the Alaska Highway and the "CANOL" project in 1942. (CANOL was the term used for the refinery situated on the Mackenzie River at Norman Wells and the pipeline constructed to take oil from the refinery to the Yukon in response to the threat of a Japanese invasion on the west coast of Canada and the USA). The car was also used for troop transport to Waterways and Dawson Creek.
When the "WESTLOCK" was used by the NAR in passenger service between Edmonton and Peace River, it would leave Edmonton's downtown CNR station at 5:30 p.m. and arrive in Peace River the next morning. For this trip, upper berths were $2.80 per night and lower berths $3.50 per night (1950 prices). The drawing room would set you back $11.00 for a single or $13.00 for a double.
Built: 1907 Acquired: 1983
Originally called the "AVALON", this car was built by the Barney & Smith Company as a 12 section/ bedroom sleeper for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad.
In 1928, the Edmonton, Dunvegan, and British Columbia Railway (ED&BC) purchased the car. When the ED&BC became part of the NAR, the car's name was kept briefly, but in 1929 the car was renamed "PEACE RIVER". In 1947, it was converted to a Superintendent's business car and renamed "DUNVEGAN". The car was then renamed back to "PEACE RIVER" in 1964 and then to Business Car #3 in 1966. The car was then converted to and auxiliary sleeper car in 1968 and renumbered 17107.
In 1991, supported by grants from the Wildrose Antique Collectors and the Alberta Museums Association, the exterior of the car was completely restored. In 1992 the original brass railings were recovered and installed. Restoration to the interior was never completed. Dunvegan is now currently in the Calder Shop being restored.