Feb. 27, 2013: Excessive snow load and heavy winds caused a partial roof collapse on the north side of Dunvegan shop. This was not covered by insurance. The Board of Directors appointed Ivan H. to be Project Manager. After exploring various options, the ingenious approach suggested by Jamie and Butch was deemed most practical and fit our budget constraints. The APRA Board of Directors approved the Demolition Plan on June 5, 2013.
On June 7, 2013 the rental of a 60 foot articulated man lift and a 42-foot/8,000 lb. telehandler was booked with United Rentals. As the museum does not have a credit card, Butch B. covered the required "anticipated" rental expenses on his personal credit card until the rental was returned and was then reimbursed.
The equipment was rented for the period of June 17 to June 24. Fortunately Butch was certified to operate both pieces of equipment through his day job. Otherwise the project could not have been conducted in the allotted time frame.
June 15 was the start of physical work on the project. Don W. used the dozer to level an access path for the lift over the clay pile on the north side of the shop and to cut and fill a level area adjacent to the north side of Track 6. The plan was to have Barry C. use the tractor to haul ties and have the CSV's place them to build a pad over and adjacent to Track 6 so as to have a stable platform for the lift. The CSV's cancelled that day. Phil H. stepped up to help us wrangle ties and Hans H. assisted securing them. Sharon F. isolated all the electrical power from the north bay.
The rental equipment was delivered on June 17 and demolition started early afternoon.
We ran into a further problem in that we could not reach the final four feet of the damaged roof with the lift as "Pelee Island" restricted the movement of the lift arm. Butch cut the last section while working on the roof itself. The demolition of the damaged roof was completed on Thursday June 20.
The able assistance of Phil H, Barry C, Ivan H and Hans H in removing the debris from the building and separating the sheet metal from the framing was most appreciated. Sharon F also assisted in moving ladders and a number of car parts on 306 that were in the way and in danger of being damaged.
All the debris has been cleaned out of the shop. All the metal roof sheathing has been removed from the wood and put in the metal bin. The wood pieces that were deemed salvageable have been piled in the carpenter shop for nail removal. The non-salvaged pieces have been put on the burn pile.
Although not part of the demolition, Ivan requested we install new header boards on the inside of the poles to replace the damaged ones and to reinforce the top of the outer wall structure. Six 2x10 header boards were used for the headers. We also installed three 2x4 braces from the poles on the outer wall and secured them to ties on Track 3 inside the shop to stabilize the wall until the new structure is built.
We also placed two tarps and some plastic over NAR Comboose 306 to protect it from further precipitation. It should be noted these tarps should be pulled back on sunny days to allow moisture in the car roof to escape.
Work on the demolition project that required use of the lift and telehandler was completed on Friday June 21. Some additional tasks using the rental equipment were completed over the weekend:
- The telehandler was used to lift one of the custom made tarps donated by Alberta Shelters onto the roof of the NAR "Rycroft" car.
- The lift was used to gain access to the two unused heater pipes on the south side of the main roof on Calder shop and tar used to seal the holes in the tin flashing around these pipes. This is a temporary measure, as further ice slides will again puncture the flashing.
- The lift was also used to access the north facing window opening on the water tank to replace the plywood cover to prevent water and pigeon entry.
- The lift was used to replace the hatch cover on the south side of the water tank roof.
- An attempt was made to use the lift to repair holes in the roof of the water tank. Unfortunately only one hole could be temporarily patched. The remaining holes were beyond the reach of the lift.
Equipment Rental (incl.insurance /delivery/pick-up) $4,878.15
Reciprocating Saw Blades - one package $ 48.29
Diesel Fuel for the telehandler - 10 gallons @ $.96/liter $ 43.58
Gasoline for the lift - 13 gallons @ $1.03/liter $ 60.79
Drumsticks - 6 @ $1.75 $ 10.50
Total Cost (includes GST of ~ $250) $ 5,041.31
Volunteer Hours Logged On The Project - 180.5
Did we meet the project objectives?
· No one gets hurt - no body parts lost nor any significant hide penetrations
· The damaged portion of the north roof is removed from the building - 54 feet of damaged roof was removed and disposed of, leaving 12 feet of the west end and 24 feet on the east end of original roof.
· Minimize further damage to the shop structure and to NAR Comboose 306 - some damage to the north overhead door track and spring support. No other damage to the building structure or the car.
Our thanks and gratitude for the assistance rendered to us in the last few days by Don W. in doing further levelling of the clay pile with the dozer to enable removal of the man lift, Hans H. for the nasty work of separating metal from wood and salvaging the wood, Phil H. for moving even more ties for the pad for the lift, the removal of debris from inside the building and separating the material, Sharon F. for assistance in moving ladders and the car parts off the roof and Barry C. for being the project "gofer".
Submitted July 3, 2013 by: Butch B. and Jamie McQ.