ARM Strategic Work Plan for 2012:
Approved by the BOD February 1, 2012.
1. Parking Lot: level dirt, price out thin gravel spread, and adjust railway tie edges.
2. Entrance: adjust tie base & top with gravel; Price gravel for track by gate.
3. Groom Right-of-Way from entrance to Zaychuk Crossing; Brush under cars.
4. Move Party Car & build wrap around deck with roof & stroller ramp = Family Car
5. Paint Wash Car; Glue lino to washroom floors.
6. Install Guard Rails on Platform.
7. Replace Bridge/Ramp
Plan to Stabilize & Restore Cars: “Best outcome for least cost and effort expended.”
1. Finish refrigerator car. (Out by May LWE opening)
2. Assess roof integrity of all cars and prioritize repair & replacement to prevent further damage. Move cars into Dunvegan for roof work based on priority as needed. Stabilize collection and minimize further deterioration. Explore & consider new technology alternatives.
3. Determine which car will be easiest & cost least to finish over winter: 306, AGW or Westlock?
Organize Contents of Cars: “Maximize use of current resources by organizing materials.”
1. Inventory contents of all boxcars & buildings. Create photo reference binder with measurements.
2. Move paint out of Barrhead Boxcar to shelves on North wall of Dunvegan or to Eco-recycle.
3. Seal cars with restricted pad lock for specific project use.
1. 1392 Operational for May LWE
2. Trackmobile - Operational & Painted
3. LaFarge Switch Engine & Alta Steel Switcher – Operational & Painted
4. 6514 – Engine Work & Painted
MOW & Other Vehicles:
1. Reorganize MOW track & display in front of new Family Car deck. Repaint MOW as needed.
2. Complete restoration of Army Truck & NAR Express Truck.
Marketing, Visitor & Community Services:
1. Reprint brochures if needed: revise with focus on 1392 celebration for 100th Anniversary.
2. Mount two Car Information Sheets in each car – one at each end.
3. Reorganize walking tours into distinct themes; develop interpretive journey program.
4. Attract new volunteer & visitor base with Mini Rail. Develop liaison with military base staff.
5. Partner with community organizations to develop sustainability using an intergenerational focus.
Archives: “Establish public access to library on line this year.”
1. Develop and implement cataloguing plan to expedite further access to materials.
Develop Mini Rail: “Invest to broaden volunteer base and deepen community involvement.”
1. Extend Dunvegan along Southside with light, insulation, heat & power for battery recharging.
2. Concrete pad for track & sidings. Work area with overhead storage, garage doors on ends.
3. Plan, develop & build our own Mini Rail infrastructure. Maximize CSV help.
Maximize & Leverage Available Resources:
1. Continue “Zero-based, Project by Project” budgeting method.
2. Maximize casino funds by applying for matching grants for Dunvegan Renovation: Roof + Lights + Insulation + Heat + Mini-Rail Shed Extension on south side with concrete track pad.
3. Apply for Alberta Museum matching grants using Casino funding & volunteer labor: Replace Station Roof (contract); Paint & Restore Water Tank (contract); Roof Replacement/repair on 5 + cars?
4. Pursue all possible avenues of funding, grants & donations. Recognize donors.
5. Book & use Community Service Crews as much as possible.
6. Long Term: #306, AGW (Combine), GMD 1 - Chief Moostoos; Upgrade Yard Track west of Calder.
7. Discuss & develop site plan over next 3 years.
URGENT:Explore options and arrange for track inspection before May opening.